The Pensacola Lighthouse - West Elevation and Cross Section - Blue - German Etching Print

Size Guide
Size

Pensacola lighthouse, one of the most brilliant lights on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, was constructed in 1826 when the Navy Base (now Pensacola Naval Air Station) was the only one on the Gulf Coast. The conical tower stands on a peninsula directly across from the only entrance into the harbour. The lens, cut and polished by Henri LePaite in Paris 137 years ago, is still in use. During the day a canvas cover is spread over the glass to protect it from the sun. The tower serves as a day marker as well as a beacon to ships at night. The lower third of the tower is painted white and can be seen easily against the green trees. The upper two-thirds is painted black and can be seen against the blue sky. Jeremiah Ingraham was appointed keeper in 1825* He and his family lived in the small brick quarters at the base. Upon his death in 1840, he was succeeded by his wife. For 15 years, Mrs. Ingraham faithfully climbed the steps every two hours to pull up the weights which turned the kerosene lamp.


Reports state that during the rebellion this tower was shot many times by solid shot. The lens had been removed so it was not damaged. In 1874 lightning struck the tower and left large holes.

Customer Reviews

Based on 9 reviews
100%
(9)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
D
D.S.
Perfect Architectural Touch
C
C.C.
Amazing Quality
K
K.W.
Just perfect!
C
C.B.
The U.S. Capitol Building - Dome Cross Section - White - Framed & Mounted Print
R
R.R.