Cape Saint George Lighthouse - Southeast Elevation & Cross Section - Lavender - German Etching Print

Size Guide
Size

The Cape Saint George Lighthouse was erected in 1852 and served as an aid to navigation until the light was disestablished in July 1994. This is the third tower built on St. George Island. The first tower was erected in 1833 on the west end of the island. After destructive winds toppled the tower in 1851, a new lighthouse was constructed two hundred and fifty yards inland. The present St. George Lighthouse has withstood damaging winds and battering by the sea for over 140 years. Its long tenure of service places it among the most significant structures of its type. Shortly after its completion, the light at Cape St. George, as with most other Florida lighthouses, was extinguished with the start of the civil war. The lens along with other valuable components of the light were removed and delivered to the Confederate Collector of Customs in Apalachicola and eventually moved further inland for safe keeping. In 1862, the caretaker was released due to the enemy having control of the light. Union soldiers occupied the lighthouse and surrounding buildings. The lens was returned and re-lit August 1, 1865.

Customer Reviews

Based on 9 reviews
100%
(9)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
0%
(0)
D
D.S.
Perfect Architectural Touch
C
C.C.
Amazing Quality
K
K.W.
Just perfect!
C
C.B.
The U.S. Capitol Building - Dome Cross Section - White - Framed & Mounted Print
R
R.R.