This was the earliest lighthouse on the West Coast to have a first-order lens. The lighthouse was automated in 1974 and has been in continual service since it was built. The original lens is still in place and could be operable. Named after the clipper ship the "Carrier Pigeon," which was wrecked at the point in 1853, the site was chosen for a first order light station in 1871, which included a lighthouse, fog signal, and keeper's house. The 114 foot brick tower was completed in October, 1872; and the 1008 piece French-made lens was installed the following month. 
Pigeon Point Lighthouse - Southeast Elevation and Cross Section - White -  Framed & Mounted Print
Pigeon Point Lighthouse - Southeast Elevation and Cross Section - White - Framed & Mounted Print
from $90.00
Pigeon Point Lighthouse - Southeast Elevation and Cross Section - White - German Etching Print
Pigeon Point Lighthouse - Southeast Elevation and Cross Section - White - German Etching Print
from $36.00